Friday, August 8, 2008

The Nicene Creed

I had the Nicene Creed posted at the bottom of my blog and when I changed the template/layout last night I lost everything at the bottom and the ability to search the blog from the top of the page.... Any suggestions?

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible; And in one Lord Jesus Christ,the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made; who for us and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man, and crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried, and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures,and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge both the living and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end. And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceedeth from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets. And I believe one holy universal and apostolic church; I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.

Amen.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I emailed blogger help group and someone told me what line of code to delete from my template and I did - so now my nav bar is back, but I'm still having a few other issues.

I do like the butterfly on the side (the ones up top annoy me a tad though).

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings Robin

My suggestion is that you forget the Nicene Creed altogether.

That is ...
Neither the Bible, Christ nor any of his disciples, endorsed statements such as
God of God, Light of Light,
very God of very God,
begotten, not made, being
of one substance with the Father.


Rather, Jesus our Lord's creed was based upon Deut 6.4ff (the Shema);
(Deu 6:4) Hear, O Israel:
The LORD our God is one LORD:

i.e. YAHWEH OUR GOD,
YAHWEH IS ONE.


Jesus recognized (in agreement with the Jewish scribe, Mark 12:28ff) solely ONE GOD.

And as for who the "true GOD" is:
Jesus identified the Father
as the only true GOD.
[John 17.3]

There is no "God of God, true God of true God" in Scripture;
rather there is solely ONE GOD,
only ONE true GOD,
viz. the Father.

This is what the early church believed:
(1 Cor 8:4) ... that there is none other God but one.
(1 Cor 8:6) But to us there is but one God, the Father, ...

So Robin, let's follow our Master's example.
Let's drop all these post-biblical creeds that have their roots in Hellenism and Grecian/Platonic philosophy;
[Col 2.8]

And rather, let's follow our Master/Rabbi Jesus the Messiah's example;
and solely worship the Father as the only true GOD.
[John 4.22-24]

So why not replace the bottom with Deut 6.4 or Mark 12.29-30?
Also Robin, please view this video:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.