Friday, February 8, 2008

Meditate on Scripture

I've been using this blog mainly to share Scripture verses and passages that have meaning to me and verses that I have memorized or need to memorize. Recently I started reading a book (Be Still and Know that I Am God compiled by Amy and Judge Reinhold) that gives insight into how to meditate on Scripture and develop a deeper prayer life. I tend to be the kind of person who competes against myself and tries to do better or more than the day before or if I think I can't beat it I just give up. Neither of those are good especially when dealing with Bible reading and prayer. When I try to read a lot of Scripture quickly, I tend to miss much of what I've read. If I know I can't read more or as much as I did the day before I am apt to skip it until I feel I can do what I think I must. I'm finding that I need to meditate on Scripture more even if its a smaller amount.

In the book, Be Still and Know that I am God, Lectio Divina is described. You may ask, what is that? "It means listening to the text of Scripture, really listening – yielded and still. It means submitting to the text of Scripture, allowing its message to flow into us rather than us attempting to master it. It means reflecting on the text of Scripture, permitting ourselves to be fully engaged by the drama of the passage. It means praying the text of Scripture, letting the biblical reality give rise to our heart cry of gratitude or confession or petition. It means applying the text of Scripture, seeing how God’s Holy Word provides personal guidance for our life circumstances. It means obeying the text of Scripture, always turning from our ways and into the life everlasting."

I've found in the last week since I've been reading this book and practicing Lectio Divina that Scripture is speaking loudly to me and fresh life is flowing.

Steps of Lectio Divina
·Read: On the first reading, simply listen to the words read aloud.
·Reflect: On the second reading, ask, What in the passage touches my life today?
·Respond: After the third reading, ask yourself, What is God inviting me to do today?
·Rest: During the fourth and final reading, ask nothing, simply rest in the presence of the Lord and experience His guidance through the Word.


If you can find this book, it would be a useful compliment to your Bible reading time or if you'd like you could print the Steps of Lectio Divina and keep it with your Bible so you can practice them as you read God's Word.

Let me leave you with this thought from God's Word:

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. whatever he does prospers."
~ Psalm 1:1-3

1 comment:

Carol said...

Thanks, Robin, for referring back to this blog posting. Sounds really in-depth! I'll be watching for more on this book.